Hieroglyphic Being aka Jamal Moss is an Avant Garde House/ Sound Noise Artist.
He has recorded for a variety of labels (including Sony Europe, Axis Records,Ghostly International, Rought Trade, Soul Jazz, and Mathematics Recordings).
Voted URB magazine’s Top 100 in 2004 as a group, Jamal Moss has long been a part of the Chicago house & techno scene as both a promoter, producer, and DJ.
One of the last of the line of producers directly influenced by Ron Hardy at the Music Box & Influenced by Sun Ra & John Cage & the Free Jazz & Experimental Noise Visionaries of the past. Moss’s first creative endeavors were as part of a crew that created industrial soundscapes or ‘Art Noise’ for the Liquid Love parties held at the famed Powerplant in Chicago from 1989 to 1990. When the Powerplant was closed, Moss and his cohorts started Liquid Sex, which became a magnet for many well-known house artists such as Steve Poindexter, who put Moss in touch with future collaborators the Chicago Bad Boys collective.
From the autumn of 1993 to the summer of 1996 Jamal Moss was host and DJ for 89.3 WNUR‘s radio program StreetBeat, showcasing a segment named Jack-FM. He was also taken under the wing of house legend Adonis, who became a key mentor figure in Moss’s life and an inspiration for his moniker.
Key moments include:
- Performing live in 2004 at DEMF (Detroit Electronic Music Festival) underground stage.
- Featured artist in issue 92 of German magazine De:Bug in 2005.
- Voted URB magazines Top 100 in 2005.
- Having work featured on Time Out magazine’s “The Other Side Of Paris” DVD guide (along with Bauhaus, Front 242, Black Strobe, and others).
- Track featured on a Robert Moog compilation “A Tribute To Robert Moog“.
- Featured in XLR8R’s 100 anniversary issue in August 2006.
- DJ Mixes featured on BBC Radio 2006 – 2007
- Performed Live 2009 – 36th Annual Lakeshore Arts Festival Jazz Showcase
- Featured Label Of The Month (November) 2009 on Resident Advisor
- Featured in Velvet magazine Greece 2009
- Featured in Trax Magazine France 2010.
- Featured Artists on Juno Plus June 2010.
- Featured Artists In Vice Magazine France 2011.
- Featured Artists on 20JazzFunkGreats U.K. May 2011.
- Featued Mix On DjBroadcast.nl August 2011.
- Composed Sound Art installations In Spain in 2008 & Milano ,Italy 2011 (Invernomuto) the Padiglione d’Arte Contemporanea
- Featured Artists in ArtHouse Mag Jettison Quarterly August 2011. U.S.A
- Featured DJ Mix The Fader Magazine Sept 2011
- Featured in THE WIRE 332 Issue U.K. 2011.
- Performed THe CTM FESTivAL 2012 Berlin ,Germany
- Performed The Rotterdam International Film Festival 2012.